Friday, March 23, 2012

Good Deeds: Should We Think Twice?


How many times you can get second chance to help others in one day?
Seriously, this is might be a silly question. But I started wondering about this matter few months ago.

One day, around 1 am at the airport in Jakarta, I was just get back from my trip, and there was this young lady, stewardess, she was looking for a transportation to get home or something. And I was waiting for a taxi as well, and she was a little bit nervous because she's expecting to get regular taxi, not the premium one. While I was there about to put my luggage to the taxi trunk. I asked her, "where you going?". And she said Bekasi (a place that is really far from the airport). I said to her I'm going to the city.

I was so stupid I didn't offer her any ride, well at least until I arrive to the city so we can split the bill and she will pay cheaper price then she would be able to continue her trip to home. I knew I could just say it to her, but I didn't! From the airport to her place probably could cost her around Rp 230.000 something. While from airport to the city could cost around Rp 100.000. She could just pay Rp 130.000! For the whole journey to home, I felt guilty and regret because I didn't offer her any help or whatsoever.

After that moment, I wouldn't think twice If someone else around me need help. When someone needs help you can't reconsidering few minutes, because sometimes the moment just passing by in a split second.

In London, people are walking so freaking fast and not really paying attention to what happen around them. But if we slow it down little bit, probably, there are senior citizens need your help to bring their luggage when they are using a normal stairs. If you think twice to give a hand and you will miss that chance to help them.

So, what I'm trying to say here, you will probably facing this kind of situations every day. Where your help is needed at that moment. Read the whole situation in one second, and don't think twice, the chance for you to give a little help probably wouldn't come twice as well. Do it before it's too late.

I don't need to explain why we need to do good things. It's not sunday class for kids. But pushing yourself to react spontaneously to help others is shaping your character. When you expected to give support, initiatives and help, you won't have to rethink it. It's in your blood. God use you to become useful for someone else. You are probably favour or blessing to others. Or superstar. Like the old lady on the Bond Street underground stairs said to me. I'm her superstar of the day. :p







No comments: